It is seaweed and it is a red alga type. Sea moss also referred as Irish moss or red seaweed. The scientific name of sea moss is Chondrus Crispus. Sea moss usually grows in inlets and rush pools. Sea moss can be considered an edible sea plant. Sea moss is usually known for its ingredients carrageenan, which is used to thicken dairy products milk, soups, stews, etc. Carrageenan is a gelatinous carbohydrate mostly used in baking and cosmetics.
The most common type of sea moss wholesale used in commercial products is red or Irish moss. The natural Irish Sea moss usually contains calories, proteins, fat, carbs, magnesium, fiber, zinc, copper, phosphorus, etc. The sea moss also contains iodine, which is necessary for good thyroid health. The sea moss is very low in calories or fat; hence it is a good choice for people trying to lose weight.
Sea moss offers many health benefits. Some of these benefits are discussed below.
Benefits of Sea Moss
As sea moss is full of nutrients and very low in fats. It is very good and valuable for people who are health conscious. Some major benefits of sea moss are:
- Sea Moss is very helpful in controlling bad cholesterol levels and ensuring good health of the heart.
- Sea moss boosts your immune system. It also protects against salmonella.
- Sea moss is high in fiber and thus a good source of weight loss.
- Although this is not proven yet, some people also use sea moss for fertility treatment.
- Sea moss is an excellent remedy for patients with high blood sugar.
- The sea moss is very helpful in replenishing good bacteria in our gut, thus improving the gut’s health.
- Sea moss is rich in iodine; therefore, it is very helpful in maintaining good thyroid health.
- An amino acid known as taurine is present in sea moss, which improves muscle building.
- Sea moss reduces the chances of chronic diseases like heart disease or diabetes.
These are the major benefits of sea moss.
Although sea moss has plenty of health benefits, it can be a root cause of serious health disorders if taken in excess. Taking large amounts of sea moss can also increase the level of heavy metals or toxins in your body. However, a small amount is not risky for health.
Uses of sea moss
There are multiple uses of sea moss for different purposes.
- It treats many health-related issues as a source of vitamins and other nutrients.
- It is used in supplements as powders, gels, gummies, etc.
- Sea moss is also used as a food-thickening agent. Sea moss is a big source of carrageenan that is used in many dairy products and non-dairy products as well.
This article is a little explanation of what sea mosses are, what their benefits for your health, what their downsides are, and what their uses are. You can buy sea moss online to enjoy its tremendous benefits. Make sure to purchase it from an authentic website and seller.